In Medias Res: Paupers, Peasants and Kings

A typical New York shopping bag man is seen
approaching. He is talking to himself.

MAN (loudly):

Why is Pharaoh spelled with a "p" and an "h"?
Oh, yeah, there is something worth looking at
there--yes sir ...

Mascaras and Joan watch him as he disappears.

MASCARAS:

My God, they are out today. Must be something
in the air.

JOAN:

Poor man, wonder why people get like that?

MASCARAS:

That's the difference between us, I just wonder
why he's walking when he should be in the rubber
room.

JOAN:

Nonsense--you're just trying to pull that tough
guy routine.

MASCARAS (laughing):

Know me like an open book eh?

JOAN (standing):

Let's walk a bit. I'm due back soon.

MASCARAS:

O.K.

JOAN:

By the way, I'm going to a party this Saturday.
Care to come.

MASCARAS:

Sure. Have to visit my mother and brother in
the afternoon. How about I pick you up at
eight?

JOAN:

Fine. We should be there at about nine anyway.

MASCARAS:

Just where is there by the way?

JOAN:

Some old family friends on East End Avenue.

MASCARAS (laughs softly):

Always wanted to see how the other half lives.

JOAN:

Well you will. We are very nice ...

MASCARAS (smiling):

Don't doubt it for a moment.

JOAN:

Oh, there will be a moment here and there when
you will.

Camera DOLLIES away from Mascaras and Joan as
they walk in the park.

No comments: